History of St. Theodore School

  • 1836 - Captain Taliaferro P. Grandham laid out the town of Flint Hill
  • 1846 - Prominent citizens of Flint Hill established the Flint Hill Methodist Church.  Later a parcel of this land was transferred to the Catholic Church.
  • 1883 - The first Catholic Church was built in Flint Hill and named after the priest who had served the area.  St. Theodore Catholic Church was dedicated on August 15, 1883.  Father Krainhardt celebrated Mass in the new church monthly and instructed the children in an old frame building, formerly a grocery store.  There were approximately 20 families in the parish.
  • 1893 - A Catholic school with ten boys and nine girls was started and taught by a lay teacher.
  • 1898 - Father August Von Brunn was assigned as the new pastor after the death of Father Kurtenback.  There were thirty-two children enrolled in the school, still taught by a lay teacher.
  • 1900 - A new Church building was constructed which is the current church building used today.  The original church building was converted into a two room school.  There were approximately sixty children in school.
  • 1903 - Sisters of the Most Precious Blood from O’Fallon, Missouri began teaching.
  • 1908 - A new Sister’s convent was built.
  • 1913 - A new brick school building was completed.  The old frame school was torn down. 
  • 1917 - Ninety five students were enrolled in school.
  • 1919 - Father Von Brunn required children to attend school for eight years to graduate.
  • 1922 - Father Joseph Poelking was appointed pastor.  Enrollment was approximately ninety students.
  • 1936 - Due to financial conditions, St. Theodore Catholic School became a public school.  Religious instructions and activities were permitted.
  • 1947 - The first hot lunch program began.  Political conditions changed dramatically by the late 1940’s and religious instructions and activities had to be done outside of regular school hours.
  • 1949 - Father Gerhard Schmidt became pastor.
  • 1953 - As a result of State Court decisions, the parochial school system returned to St. Theodore.  The financial responsibility of the school returned to the parish.
  • 1954 - As a result of Fr. Schmidt’s efforts, the school lunch program was greatly expanded and school bus transportation was begun.
  • 1966 - Two classrooms were added to the school building.
  • 1969 - School enrollment reached a peak of 167 students.
  • 1971 - Father Joseph Portucheck was named pastor.  During this time, the first school board was initiated.  Sister Barbara Rose Cook became principal.  Eucharistic liturgies for children were introduced with special Masses once per week.  The room mother’s organization was formed.
  • 1979 - Father Eugene Bendel became St. Theodore’s pastor
  • 1981 - The first self-study evaluation and accreditation was completed under Sr. Rose’s leadership.  News came to the parish that the Sisters were to be removed from the parish and as a result the financial burden of operating the school was greatly increased.
  • 1982 - The first school year with a full lay faculty staffed the school with Mrs. Delores Schaeffer hired as principal.
  • 1983 - St. Theodore Parish celebrated its centennial.
  • 1984 - Mrs. Jean Hayden was hired as principal.
  • 1989 - The second self-study was conducted.  Enrollment was between 90 and 100 students.
  • 1990 - Father Urban Knoll was named pastor.  St. Theodore’s Home and School organization was established.
  • 1993 - St. Theodore School celebrated its centennial
  • 1994 - Father Knoll conducted, in accordance with the Catholic Education Office, a long term planning study however the study was never officially completed or implemented due to the retirement of Fr. Knoll.  Father Albert Mattler was appointed pastor.  Additional school buses purchased.
  • 1996 - The loft of the auditorium of the school building was renovated and turned into a library.  Major renovation to the kitchen and school cafeteria was accomplished.  A kindergarten program was initiated.  Mrs. Norma Cooper was hired as principal.  A new computer lab was opened.
  • 1997 - The third self study was completed.
  • 1998 - Mrs. Ruby Karolczak became principal after teaching for 17 years at St. Theodore
  • 1999 - Planning for new buildings and renovation of older buildings was begun.
  • 2000 - After approval from the Archdiocese, construction was begun on renovations and the new building.  The new building would include parish/school offices, teacher workroom/lounge, parish center/gymnasium, cafeteria, 5 new classrooms, large restrooms, and storage space.
  • 2001 - The new facility opened for the 2001-2002 school year.  The building was dedicated by Bishop Nauman.
  • 2002 - School enrollment began to grow.
  • 2005 - School enrollment was 179 students from 113 families.
  • 2007 - Ms. Joy Long was hired as principal.
  • 2010 - Mr. Randy Struck was hired as first male administrator of St. Theodore School.
  • 2011 - Ms. Claire Ortmeier was hired as principal.
  • 2012 - Spanish was introduced as part of the middle school curriculum and as an option available outside of school hours to primary grade students.  Enrollment was 218 students.
  • 2013 - Enrollment was 189 students.
  • 2015 - Mrs. Kelly Cassinger was hired as principal. Enrollment was 169 students.
  • 2016 - Enrollment was 170 students.
  • 2017 - Spanish increased to grades K-5 once a week as part of the school curriculum and twice a week to the middle school.  Father Anthony Gerber was appointed pastor.